- 2 & 1/2 cups plus 1 & 1/4 tsp. gluten free baking mix (or flour)
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Spectrum Organic shortening
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 5 Tablespoons (non-dairy) milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add shortening and molasses. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, use butter knives in each hand and move them in opposite directions, until the shortening is cut into smaller and smaller chunks. You can also use forks in a similar manner.
- When the mixture looks crumbly, it’s time to add the milk. Start with 5 Tablespoons and stir mixture with a large spoon. If it still seems too dry, add more milk, one Tablespoon at at a time. I only stir it for 30 seconds or so, until dough is beginning to stick together a little but is still somewhat crumbly. Then I roll up my sleeves and mix thoroughly with my (very clean and pre-washed!) hands. When you have an actual dough, divide it in two.
- Place a baking mat, a sheet of parchment, or baking paper on a counter or large cutting board. Place one ball of dough in the center of it and place plastic wrap on top so that your rolling pin doesn’t stick to it. Now roll out the dough until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Peel off the plastic wrap and save it for the rest of the dough.
- Once the shapes are cut and excess dough is peeled away, lift the baking mat or parchment off the counter top or cutting board and place onto a cookie sheet
- Bake cookies in the preheated oven for about 6 to 8 minutes. In my oven, 6 and a half minutes is perfect for a moist and chewy cookie. If you like a little more ”snap” to your cookie, then go for 8 minutes. But, because everyone’s oven is different, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on them from 6 minutes on. When they’re done, allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Even if you don't have any food allergies, your body will appreciate the extra loving care that went into each healthy ingredient used in this recipe.